Saturday, July 25, 2009

add multitasker to my resume

If there's one thing I've mastered in the last 9 weeks it's multitasking.  If you've had a career before your baby you equate multitasking with answering a phone while writing an email and finishing a project.  I laugh in the face of office multitasking.  There's nothing like mommy-tasking.  I've mastered breast-feeding, letting the dog out, eating dinner and paying full attention to my husband's conversation all at once.  

If you think that's impressive then you'll totally appreciate my trip to the gynecologist last week. After packing Sadie into the car, carrying her in her car-seat, and a diaper bag that feels like someone shoved rocks in it (I am going to have chiseled arms - that's a whole other post for another time), I finally arrive at the doctor.  As I'm checking in they inform me that he's had to leave for an emergency c-section.  I must add that in my 9 months of pregnancy my doctor never missed an appointment, but that's beside the point.  Feeling my new mommy pain he sent me to his partner rather than sending me all the way home.  

Everything goes accordingly and Sadie is sleeping soundly until I am put in the exam room.  A minor meltdown occurs, but I keep my cool.  Keep in mind when you go into the exam room you are told to strip from the waist down and put the sheet over you.  So picture this or don't cause picturing me naked might not be for you.  Anyway, I did as they told me and was naked from the waist down with the sheet over me.  With each cry I hop off the table and put Sadie's pacifier in her mouth all the while praying that the damn doctor would just come in the room so I could get out of there fast.  Sadie won't calm down, in fact her cry seems to be getting louder, and yes, I'm still naked!  I decide to take her out of the car seat and sit on the table with her to calm her down and wait for the doctor.  

The doctor finally arrives and we introduce ourselves.  While I'm saying hello I'm thinking ok let's make it snappy I'm naked, I have a crying baby in my arms and now that I've been waiting here this long she's probably going to be hungry any minute and then I'll really be naked!  As we are going through the usual doctor patient questions I'm trying to figure out how he's even going to examine me with a screaming baby in my arms. Well, let me tell you the doc must have been accustomed to screaming newborns in the office because he simply said lay back for me please...you can keep the baby on your belly.  

So, if you are reading this and you're not a mommy just think of me the next time your stressed when you're multitasking at the office.  I've calmed a baby down in a doctor's office half-naked, had a full gynecological exam and held a baby on my chest kicking and screaming.  Take that full-time office job!

1 comment:

  1. Ok...I think you're going to have to give the readers some warning about these "naked posts". Maybe rate the post...like a "Nester-G", "Nester-R", "Nester-X" etc....

    Once again, as your brother, this was a little too much info!! Not too mention that it seems a little strange that the first time you met this guy you were naked. I know he is a doctor but still!! I guess its stories like this when I am thankful I am a man.

    ReplyDelete