Tuesday, July 28, 2009

his life never changed

I'm going to preface this post with the statement that I love my husband very very much.  Had I written this a couple of weeks ago there would have been a lot of angry words and maybe some things I would have regretted.  Sleep deprivation doesn't help the situation, but I'm not here to air my dirty laundry, (god knows we have plenty of it) I'm just writing this entry to let all you new parents know that the honeymoon is officially over!  

I think my husband finally understands how hard my job is, but let's face it newmies husband's just don't understand.  Before Sadie was born I think Michael thought being a parent would be all happiness and snuggling with an adorable baby.  While that is definitely part of it, the other parts are much more challenging.  When our lives got into more of a rhythm, when the family was gone and it was just us, I noticed that my husband's life went back to exactly the way it was pre-baby.  How is that possible?  My life felt like it flipped completely upside down and there was Michael booking tee times for his next golf game.  Reality check, Daddy! Family time is the new tee time.  

Here's where I dug my own sand trap...Tiger Woods Golf 2010 for Wii came out around Father's Day and the amazing wife I am I bought it for him!  Big mistake newmies.  Don't do what I did.  Tee time is now in our living room all weekend long! Michael thinks he has made a compromise by traveling to the world's finest golf courses without even leaving the house.  Men reading this are probably thinking...he's the man.  Newmies out there are thinking...you fool why did you buy it for him!?!?

After a good, healthy couple's talk and some big changes on both our parts, I think we've both learned our lesson.  Michael's been a huge help around the house.  He comes home from work and finishes cooking dinner (I'm usually dealing with Sadie's meltdown mode), he has taken charge with our poor neglected pup Rosie and he even gets Sadie to sleep on the nights that Mommy is having her meltdown mode.  Although weekend's aren't really days off for me, it helps to have an extra set of hands around for a couple of days.  Even if those hands are strapped around a wii golf club for a few hours:) 

4 comments:

  1. hi katie! your blog is adorable!

    "News flash, daddy! Family time is the new tee time!" i LOVE it.

    much love to you and your new family

    xoxo, melanie friedson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my do I know where you are coming from on this one. I adore my husband but he doesn't know JACK about what it takes to care for a baby all day long.

    Here's a fun trick...wait till Sadie is about 5-6 months old and then leave her with him for the ENTIRE day and make him do the whole routine (even bedtime) and see how much he loves you when you come home!

    When they get older they do WAY more then just eat, sleep, and poop and Daddy will have to constantly entertain her. Now that's a reality check!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Melanie... love that line. Your book should be called, "Family Time is the New Tee Time!" xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My God, this is my life!! I totally understand adn agree 100%!!

    ReplyDelete